6 October 2015: The Committee took evidence from Shona Robison, Cabinet Secretary for Health, Wellbeing and Sport, Scottish Government. The Committee agreed to consider the evidence heard at a future meeting. Official Report: 6 October 2015
Follow us & get involved:
- It has been a roller coaster of emotions these last few days, up and down, with good news, the. Bad news,... t.co/3BQs09vWVG
- Edinburgh University teams up with charity for dementia concert t.co/lKcy9xsbLV
- You took a piece of my heart away the day you left.....but you also left me a piece of yours that day Frankie.... t.co/36IwDewwcC
- Well folks, this morning myself and the under 65s in Scotland who were waiting to hear the Scottish Budget... t.co/1cbKplFcgw
- FRANK'S LAW.......WE ARE STILL WAITING😢😢😢
- Some more of FRANK'S ARMY.....thank you to all for your ongoing support....👍👍❤️❤️
- Thank you to our friend Simon, one of our generals of FRANK'S ARMY, who has travelled all over the world to raise... t.co/FG2XgR6LT3
- FRANK'S LAW........
- WELL ITS NOW ONLY 17 MONTHS UNTIL FRANK'S LAW IS TO BE FULLY IMPLEMENTED!!! YES ITS NOT A TYPING ERROR ..ANOTHER... t.co/3XxRSoeMt6
- Thank you everyone at the National Coalition of Carers for inviting me to speak at their AGM in Edinburgh today.... t.co/iiUnX3C84Y
- Big thank you to Learning Disability Alliance Scotland for inviting me through to Edinburgh to speak about... t.co/jMhuwefHnR
- From today's Courier
- Thank you to our friends Peter, Carol, Maureen and Colin for their continuing support for FRANK'S LAW ...❤️
- THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO OUR FRIEND MARK WHO HAS KINDLY OFFERED TO PAY FOR THE FRAMING OF THE SIGNED FRANK'S LAW T... t.co/BJZo6LX2Vt
- Another three members of FRANK'S ARMY proud to show their support for FRANK'S LAW.
- Thanks Alison, Ian and Graham proud to show their support for FRANK'S LAW.....xx
- Delighted to be sent this message and photo from our friend Ian, a great supporter of FRANK'S LAW proudly wearing... t.co/1TbV1a26JL
- At long last, after first mentioning my fear over 9 years ago, that CTE could have caused Frankie to be diagnosed... t.co/dnng4Yfuo4
- Great to see another two of our footballing family members, ex Aston Villa and Celtic player, Alan... t.co/BGbXDyw9QI
- Thank you Eleanor, Maureen and Colin for your continuing support and proud to wear your FRANK'S LAW t shirts....xx
- From today's COURIER.....
- I know our friend Campbell will not mind me sharing this very poignant poem he has written.. His lovely wife Anne.… t.co/W3zmtAKa0P
- My friend Miles Briggs has been instrumental in launching the FRANK'S LAW in June of this year at Holyrood, he... t.co/Gy0tz2m4HO
- SENDING MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAVE BEEN SO KIND, AND TAKEN THE TIME TO SEND ME THE MANY... t.co/093zgN2QDa
- I posted a new video to Facebook t.co/RrIp8UV9GC
- So sad to hear about Jim Brogan ( Celtic) has passed away after a brave battle against dementia. My thoughts and... t.co/S3IY9NlK3l
- Some facts about Dementia in an article from Alzheimer's Scotland. 1. Dementia is NOT a natural part of getting... t.co/TL6Znz163j
- FRANK'S LAW to be implemented by 2019!!!!!! REALLY!!!!😢
- WORTH IT????? ASK ALL THE UNDER 65s WHO MIGHT NEED THE BENEFIT OF IT ONE DAY!!!!!👍👍👍💙💙💙💙
- Normally i wouldn't normally reply to people who send scathing and vile remarks, however on this occasion I feel... t.co/QwU1NXrcnc
- Thank you to our friends Mike and Maureen....💙❤️
- There is no plan to implement Frank's Law in Angus just a year before it comes into effect, health bosses have... t.co/LWGnsa3C4l
- Some wee thoughts as a new day begins..... We never get what we want, We never want what we get, We never have... t.co/9suZ8OqQVU
- Thank you very much to our friend Craig for the invitation to the Football Action on Dementia Group in... t.co/1G6wJAZDAE
- Just home from the Alzheimer's Scotland event in Glasgow where I was very honoured to receive the Special... t.co/fF2v0m8HYM
- A teacher in New York was teaching her class about bullying and gave them the following exercise to perform.... t.co/dD1cBcKQ88
- Just home from another fantastic concert by the Total Recall Memory Choir. The choir is made up of people living... t.co/DH7SrwdmKJ
- Always lovely to see my sister Joy and brother in law Colin when they visited today......and Colin proudly... t.co/n7enzwwFhM
- Thank you to my friend Patrick for sending me this article......❤️❤️ Someone wrote the following heartfelt plea... t.co/kATSUooHtY
- Elvis Presley-The Wonder of You-Lyrics and Song t.co/EHYaX0CZRh
- Great to see our friend Scott from the Snug Bar today, and have this photo taken in the Frank Kopel Lounge which... t.co/q8m3pNX5jH
- SO THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE VOICES FROM FRANK'S ARMY WHO HELPED ME TO HAVE MY VOICE TO BE HEARD IN THE BATTLE FOR... t.co/iiHgPjy2to
- Well of course the adorable Butch just had to have his photo taken today with our friend Kim, his owner Kim and... t.co/TovOFQyLme
- Our friends Eileen and George with the GreatScot Award...xx
- AND THE SOONER IT IS IMPLEMENTED THE BETTER IT WILL BE FOR ALL THOSE U65s WHO ARE STILL WAITING TO BENEFIT FROM... t.co/LsFtLusM69
- Today I met up with friends Pauline, Jimmy and Heather who have, and are still supporting FRANK'S LAW.....❤️❤️
- Also popped into see two of my girls at the DUFC shop, great supporters of FRANK'S LAW......Thanks Helen and... t.co/weZ5FCSu1w
- Our friend Asif and me with the Great Scot 2017 Charity Award...
- MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAVE BEEN SO VERY KIND TO SEND ME CONGRATULATION MESSAGES SINCE WINNING THE... t.co/BGXCxqKtcx
- Popped into see our friends and great supporters of FRANK'S LAW, Hira and Ayaz at Thistle Newsagents, Kirriemuir,... t.co/zKwcnusR85
- Well, finally I'm coming down from CLOUD 9 after the Great Scot Award 2017 event on Saturday. A fantastic... t.co/jTfDJoOP99
- Feeling extremely humbled and honoured to be advised that I have been short listed as Campaigner of the Year for... t.co/WTUJtGriI3
- Absolutely delighted to be sent the notification from Kieran... The support from the Courier has been magnificent... t.co/IlVOqnVvxj
- Finalists revealed for the British Journalism Awards 2017 – Press Gazette t.co/Ni5htcrXcN
- Great to see these photos and message from our friend George kin Gothenburg..... 👍⚽️❤️ """A few pre match beers... t.co/YSdurfHHcu
- Delighted to meet up today with friends Jeff (from SACT - Scotland Against the Care Tax) and Ian to speak about... t.co/qnEzIhxkbx
- AND I KNOW THAT THIS MAN WILL BE THANKING EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU FROM HEAVEN FOR HELPING TO TO DELIVER FRANK'S LAW...... ❤️❤️❤️
- Great to see our friend Kirk raising awareness for FRANK'S LAW at LifeClothing, Glasgow, who are pleased to support the campaign...👍
- Just back from a lovely lunch with our friend Susan who gave me, not only the beautiful flowers, but also a... t.co/5Ad9wHin9U
- Massive thank you to the following teams and individuals who have kindly donated items such as the framed signed... t.co/dbp4D5gaNe
- A question for all FRANK'S ARMY wherever you are........ The date of the implementation of such an important... t.co/17gc0Ojt20
- So wish Frankie was here to see all this...I know he would be so proud of all FRANK'S ARMY who helped me in the... t.co/4GJ6pxMTUh
- Thank you to Miles Briggs MSP, for sharing these photos and his and other MSPs ongoing support for FRANK'S LAW.... t.co/tjzyZlxRNC
- Fantastic to be sent these photos and message from our friend Pamela at Top of The Rock NYC....thanks... t.co/noXncoI4ov
- Well done Gordon and the Scotland Team....⚽️💙⚽️💙⚽️💙⚽️💙⚽️💙⚽️💙⚽️💙
- Reposting this article from a few months ago, when the FRANK'S LAW bill was launched at Holyrood, and delighted... t.co/ZDbnjGvE6n
- Thanks to our friend Brian for sending me these photo and message....❤️ ""Chatting on Wechat to my nephew Kang... t.co/C7PRQOlPYz
- ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️ t.co/xw8d0HwPu6
- Delighted to see our friend Simon proudly wearing his FRANK'S LAW t shirt on his visit to Iran....x
- Two of our young FRANK'S LAW supporters in Calella Spain....thanks Jacqueline for sending the photo....
- musical.ly - instant music videos t.co/9BGL9PVfTJ
- Was delighted to hear the First Minister finally announce a few weeks ago that FRANK'S LAW was to be... t.co/h6oeOJUJO7
- Just a few of the signed FRANK'S LAW t shirts already framed, and also waiting to be framed, which will be... t.co/mnsNIsPz8g
- Another 2 photos from our friend Paul in New Zealand....x
- THANK YOU FRANK'S ARMY......👍👍👍❤️
- Thursday 7th September Miles Briggs (Lothian) (Con): I welcome the First Minister’s announcement on Tuesday that... t.co/4uNtEXKSoh
- Thank you to our friend Brian for sending this link for the people who are asking who they should write to show... t.co/04Gzcam8YZ
- My heartfelt thanks to every member of FRANKS ARMY, wherever you are, whatever age, creed, colour or gender you... t.co/bkarjSTm7I
- To FRANK'S ARMY today who made me feel so very welcome as I walked onto the pitch at Tannadice today...A MILLION... t.co/o3LKlpBwmg
- Well done Amanda! #delivered! t.co/V2wir0MaIF
- Just received a lovely letter of congratulation from Dundee Lord Provost Ian Borthwick and his lovely wife Linda.💕💕
- Thursday 7th September Miles Briggs (Lothian) (Con): I welcome the First Minister’s announcement on Tuesday that... t.co/rFUa6Hrf8c
- I posted a new video to Facebook t.co/pysfXWEYcy
- Well what can I say?????? After the events of yesterday and such a momentous day when I heard the words that... t.co/CyxvvWa5Wu
- Well this time tomorrow the under 65s in Scotland who have been denied free personal when they were assessed as... t.co/XAC09bXoX7
- Fantastic to be sent these photos from our friend John wearing his kilt while climbing Mount Etna and proud to... t.co/2JxhwfMitc
Frank's Law is a campaign to stop the age discrimination which exists for people in Scotland under the age of 65.
At present, anyone under the age of 65 who requires personal care for their Dementia, Motor Neurone Disease, Parkinson's, Multiple Sclerosis, Cancer, Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (or any other degenerative brain disease) has to fund the cost of the care themselves.
That person, will, in all probability (through no fault of their own) have lost their job, lost their income, is yet to reach pension age and their carer (which is usually a family member), will too have given up their job to care for their loved one. However, for those over the age of 65, that personal care is free.
But no disability, illness, condition or disease waits until a person reaches the age of 65, then strikes.
Amanda Kopel (widow of the late Frank Kopel) has experienced this injustice first hand:
Dementia came to our door as a very uninvited guest, when my beautiful husband Frankie, who was my best friend and soul mate was diagnosed with dementia when he was 59.
The 6 years which followed, until the day he died in my arms on April 16th 2014, both Frankie and I encountered first hand the discrimination which existed against vulnerable people under the age of 65.
I began the campaign in June 2013 as the present law (which had been introduced in 2002) stated that anyone over the age of 65, when assessed as requiring personal care should not have to pay for it.
Frankie did not need personal care at point of diagnosis, but as the dementia deteriorated that was when he needed personal care.
Only one day separates the difference between paying for personal care and getting it free.
It does not matter whether you are aged 64 or 65, the care will be the same.
Frank's Law campaign support is growing by the day as people all over Scotland realise that sometime in the future they may need the support of this extremely important law as not one of us know what the future has in store for us.
I do not want anyone under the age of 65 to go through the battle which Frankie and others went through and be discriminated against because of the age on their birth certificate.
FRANK'S LAW... IT'S TIME TO DELIVER